Friday, November 16, 2007

I am aware...

...of the lack of posts.

Five months is NOT enough time to plan a wedding. PERIOD. It's still happening - December 29th.

I got tagged for some stuff about 100 years ago.

The Rules: Once tagged, you must link to the person who tagged you. Then post the rules before your list, and list 8 random things about yourself. At the end of the post, you must tag and link to 8 other people, visit their sites, and leave a comment letting them know they’ve been tagged.

My 8 random things:

1. I love my dog almost as I love Jared. While I have monetarily paid Suna back for helping me keep her, I hope I can someday be able to repay the emotional debt.
2. I forget almost everything, and have lost more books, movies, and CDs than most people will ever own.
3. I see knitted items on TV or movies and think - I want to knit that!
4. I recently finished the body of my first sweater. It's large. Larger than me. The length is okay, and it fits well across the bust, but the sleeve-holes are too big, and the waist is too big.
5. I usually only hiccup once, at random.
6. I adore my job and my new friends
7. I'm finally knitting something with the fuschia yarn I dyed way back in the day
8. I am not at all scared about getting married. Jared and I very much already act married, anyway. But planning is fucking annoying.


In much, much sadder news, an old high school friend of mine and his boyfriend were attacked because they are gay. Because I don't know all the details, I am cross posting my friend Katie's blog (there are pictures on her blog, but they make me too sad, and I do not want them on mine, though it is a very clear reminder of how hateful come people can be):

It could have happened anywhere. Really it could have, but it didn't. It happened here, in Tulsa, the so-called city of faith. My heart is deeply saddened. I had to spend a night in the ER, because two of the people I love most in the world were attacked for being gay. It could have been anybody, but it wasn't just anybody. It was Kouri and Jimmy who I affectionately refer to as "the Boys". The Boys who have shown me so much about what it means to be joined, in love, for life. And who I know to be capable of enormous kindness. They didn't deserve this.
I will never in my life forget the blood running down Kouri's face or the reason it was there. They were minding their own business; they weren't advertising their sexuality or anything sordid. They weren't even bothering anybody for that matter. I will remember that phone call from Jimmy, who was choking back tears, as he said "I will take that image of those two guys kicking Kouri on the ground to my grave." I was so shocked that I couldn't speak. I just had to leave my apartment. I couldn't just sit there. So, I went to the hospital. They needed me because gay marriage isn't legal, the doctors couldn't give either of them information on the other's condition. I spent my night running between hospital beds delivering updates to each of them. It was the symbiotic relationship between gay men and women in poetic fluidity.
I saw the results of a hate crime. I am a witness to the intense hatred some people feel toward homosexuals. And I will not remain silent. Orwell once said, "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." I am so exhausted by ignorance, but I need to give voice to this sadness.
I am so shocked by the violence that I have seen and sickened that it happened to my friends. I don't know if this kind of hatred will ever go away completely. But if it is our duty as privileged people of intelligence to state the obvious then I must say that if there is to be any change in society, it has to start with you and me.


UPDATE: They are doing fine now. They are both out of the hospital. Luckily, they are both expected to make a full recovery. All your love, thoughts and prayers are appreciated. I put these pictures up because I think people are too quick to quick to brush violent instances like these under the rug as an unpleasant happenstance. This particular instance was most certainly related to homophobia, which is a social problem that all too often gets overlooked with other minority issues. My reason for posting this is so it will hopefully not be forgotten.

3 comments:

Heatherly said...

lol, he asked me june 23, we married oct 20. 4 mons.
you can do it! :-)

Suna said...

I found out I was pregnant in March, married in May. Of course, not a real good wedding. That is why I have a YEAR this time.

Glad you love your dog. She is very special. Glad I could help.

Try to enjoy your planning. It's just one day: then you get a whole life.

Shelly Hattan said...

Congratulations, married girl! Hope the wedding went well. I celebrate my 17th anniversary on Jan. 1. It's a good time of year to get married.

Happy New Year!

Pages